IT Systems Administrator - Unix Linux
The job has expired.
When you join Western Power Distribution you become part of our team of over 6,600 professional and support staff looking after our extensive electricity distribution network. We serve over 7.8 million customers across the Midlands, South Wales and South West.
We cover highly populated urban centres such as Nottingham, Birmingham, Bristol and Cardiff, beautiful remote locations including the Brecon Beacons, Dartmoor and the Peak District and everything in between!
You will become integral to a company offering many benefits and a supportive working environment. We are committed to investing in the latest technologies and working methods to improve service to customers.
We know that our people are at the heart of this success and work hard to create a working environment that all our employees can be proud of.
Our IT team are vital to our business in many ways, not only do they assist their colleagues by supporting and enabling everything from desktop computers and networking to managing infrastructure, they also take care of cyber security and develop applications.
An opportunity has arisen for a Systems Administrator within the Computer Services Team based at Elliott Road, Plymouth. The role involves Linux/UNIX systems administration and also administration of VMware ESXi, Enterprise Storage, physical server infrastructure and networking. The successful candidate will also be exposed to Oracle databases, Active Directory, Firewalls and TCP/IP Network Administration.
The following skills and qualifications would be beneficial, although not essential:
- Editing text files using Vim/Emacs style editors
- Unix core administrative skill; creating user accounts and re-setting passwords. Filesystem management and commands such as cp, grep, mv and tar. Scheduling jobs through cron and interpreting standard log files.
- An understanding of SSH and its configuration
- Red Hat style package management
- Bash scripting or core programming skills in languages such as Perl, Python or PHP.
- An understanding of internet protocols and web technologies
- An appreciation of Cybersecurity and associated tools
The Ideal Candidate
A higher level qualification in a relevant subject i.e. Computer Science or IT would be advantageous. You should be a team player who is able to make decisions using your own initiative to solve a range of IT related challenges. You must be able to demonstrate that you have the necessary skills and experience to make a success of this opportunity. As a member of the Unix Team you will be expected to participate in an "Out of Hours" standby working arrangement and my be required to work overtime. As the team supports multiple WPD sites, a driving licence is required.
Please ensure you complete all sections of the application as this information is used to assist us in making informed decisions about those candidates suitable to take forward for interview.
* Depending on experience the starting salary may be lower until the successful candidate achieves the required competencies for the role.